Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Making a Vegetable Patch

With the beautiful Spring weather FINALLY here, Dorothy has been keen to get out in the garden! Whilst growing flowers is lovely, there are few things more satisfying than planting your own vegetables, nurturing them and watching them grow.

It can be time consuming to get going, but it's great fun. The best time of year to start seeding is NOW! Spring time! 

First you need to prepare the soil. You need to remove ALL the weeds and turn the earth. You don't have to be very ambitious though, a small patch is fine! You could fork in some compost too, if you are worried about soil quality.

We chose to partition our little gardens as Dorothy and her friends wanted their own areas. We marked ours out with decking planks but string markers would have been fine.



The preparation really is the most important (and time consuming) bit. If you are pushed for space, you could plant up a grow bag on a tray - be sure to puncture some holes (carefully!) to let the water drain out.

Select your seeds, and sow as the instructions tell you. This is important. You could use the seed packets to make markers to remind you what you are growing -if you own a laminator you could waterproof them too.




It's important to keep your plants watered frequently, and to keep checking for weeds. By Autumn you should have some delicious vegetables to help cook and eat!


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

23 comments:

  1. You're doing better than me! So far I have just managed to 'look' at what I need to be doing. Thank you for giving me the nudge to actually complete my veg plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely new site!
    I keep meaning to start a veggie patch. We are going to start small and plant out some large tubs and see how we go from there. I will follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've not planted anything for years! I do love growing our own though, really should get on it - pumpkins at least!

    I recently posted: Four Corners of the World: Animal Kingdom

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had an allotment for a few years and love it. Such a joy seeing plants and vegetables grow from seed. Time to get my potatoes in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this looks amazing! What a lovely weekend you picked for planting your seeds too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful new site. Amazing photos, cant wait to see how much you grow xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great. I would love to o this with Baby, but know I would kill them all x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks great! We love to grow vegetables, it is so rewarding and satisfying to go down the garden and get your fresh veg! Look forward to seeing how you get on :-) xx read through fb blog support and #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo you lucky devil - next year I'll start ours - and I cannot wait! Loving this new blog by the way - amazing blog name too! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. my kids would love to grow veg but we usually dont get beyond herbs and salad. must try harder! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow that looks like a fantastic veg patch - I can't wait to see how it grows :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had the patience to grow vegetables and look after a garden but I have to admit mowing the lawn is the extent of the effort i put into mine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic. I love growing veggies. Unfortunately we live on an apartment on the fourth floor. Still, we have a small balcony garden.. :)

    Thanks for your visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see how this comes along. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is vegetables that really draw me to a garden, possibly because I also love to cook. Good luck with your veggies! Popping by from #HDYGG and wishing you a Very happy Spring Equinox!

    ReplyDelete
  16. we have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, peas and squash growing and we are all so excited about it. happy spring and happy growing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fab little helpers you have just love to grow veg we are doing shallots and garlic we will make pickled onions at the end of the year cant wait to see your crop sprout

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to get our veg patch up and running x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent hard working helpers, growing your own veg is such a rewarding thing to do, must take it back up

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so cute!

    One of the things I most look forward to when we eventually have kiddies is everyone having their own little patch. Reminds me being little and my nanna letting me have a spot of her gooseberry bush that was just for me!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!
Dorothy xx