Saturday, 7 June 2014

Make a "Loomeez" elastic band bracelet with Dorothy!

Have you seen the new elastic band craze that is sweeping through schools this summer? Dorothy's friends have been really taken with them. Do search around for the bands and looms though because prices vary hugely. A "Loom" can be £14 (WHSmith's) or £3 (The Entertainer) and bands can be between £1 and £4 a bag!


There are several different types of loom, but this bracelet would be possible on all of them since you only need two pegs. One of Dorothy's friends even uses two pencils instead!

In the video below Dorothy takes you through the process of making this bracelet:-



Finishing off is simple. 
  • You need to do exactly the same process once more without adding another band, so you have only one band around each peg. 
  • Take one more band and careful remove the bracelet from the loom. 
  • Flatten the new band and push it through BOTH loose loops that you have just removed from the loom. 
  • Pass one loop of this new band through the other and pull tight. 
  • Attach the hook on an "S" clip to either end and wear it!


Once you have mastered the basics there are plenty of video tutorials on YouTube. Here are some other creations made with elastic bands!




Crafts on Sea
HHA

27 comments:

  1. Oh...I want one of those colourful bracelets. You make it sound as though it's easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7yo is really into these and received loads yesterday for her birthday so she's in her element

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look bright and effective and seem really easy to make! Nice little video showing the stages too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, I'm sure lots of little girls would love these x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great instructions. I can see why these are such a hit in the playground

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son has one of these - he loves making the bracelets! I've got quite the collection now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm sounds like an ideal thing to teach my two to do when we are on holiday in the caravan this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh your video looks fantastic! love the editing and add ons you did! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you - bit amateurish but it was my first attempt!

      Delete
  9. these things are sure coming back again, had my daughter ask for the sets for her birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great video! A family member made my little boy one of these over the weekend and he loves it (refused to take it off even for bed lol) and i must admit they look pretty cool!

    Jess
    http://owlcrazymummy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of these until I started seeing them appear on a few blogs! They look very colourful, just the sort of thing I would have enjoyed doing as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these never seen them I may have to buy one for my second cousins they would love these.
    Jen x
    http://jenjbboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just asking about loom bands today and ordered some for Munchkin as think she would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great bracelets and very good editing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Dorothy is very creative and those bracelets have shaped up rather well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a brilliant idea to keep the children entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely clear instructions,you make it so simple!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My girls love making these. They don't have the loom, they just do it on their fingers :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wondering how to make these things! Thanks Dorothy ;-) #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant video Dorothy. My daughter is going to learn how to make them at Brownies tomorrow so this will be a great help o me when she wants to make them at home too! #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh thanks so much for the reminder as I haven't made these since I was little and had completely forgotten how xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely colourful bracelets. I always wondered how to make those bracelets.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
  23. My eldest is mad for making these! Maybe i ll have a go now...

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are a house of loom bands! I find them everywhere. I do think for a craze they are great and at £1 a pack I don't mind buying them for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fab idea to do a video for this, I always find pictures too tricky to follow! Thanks for linking with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!
Dorothy xx